Every month we will share a different Coppi recipe for you to try at home! This month we have our Calabrese Sausage Risotto, Red Wine, Radicchio & Roast Hazelnut
Calabrese Sausage Risotto, Red Wine, Radicchio & Roast Hazelnut
(Serves 2 persons)
For the Risotto
250g Arborio Rice
125g Spiced Pork & Fennel Sausage Meat
1 Bay Leaf
Half Cinnamon Stick
1 Medium Shallot, Chopped Finely
2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped Finely
1 Stick of Celery, Chopped Finely
1 Glass of Red Wine
500mls Beef (or Chicken) Stock
3 Tb Sp Grated Parmesan
1 Tb Sp Butter
2 Tb Sp Olive Oil
For the Raddichio
(You will have leftovers to use later for salads, pasta & risotto dishes)
1 Radicchio, Sliced Thinly
100mls White Wine Vinegar
100g Caster Sugar
1 Sprig of Rosemary
1 Star Aniseed
1 Clove Crushed Garlic
3 Tb Sp Toasted & Chopped Hazelnuts
2 Tb Sp Grated Parmesan
2 Tb Sp Finely Chopped Parsley
- Firstly make the radicchio, this will need 3 hours to infuse with the pickling liquor. Place the raddichio in a large bowl & set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a small pot, whisk to dissolve the sugar & place over a high heat until beginning to boil.
- Remove from the heat & allow to cool to room temperature before pouring over the raddichio.
- In a separate wide based pot heat the olive oil until hot & add the shallot, garlic, celery, bay leaf, cinnamon & cook over a medium-high heat for 5-6 mins until the onion has softened but not coloured.
- Add the sausage meat & stir until the meat has broken down to a Bolognaise style texture.
- Add the rice & adjust the heat to medium, stir continuously for 3 mins until the rice has began to cook & release starch.
- Add the red wine & allow to cook until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add the beef stock 1 ladel at a time being careful not to drench the rice & stir continuously until the rice has almost fully cooked (15-20mins).
- Once the rice has fully cooked and has only a little bite left add the butter, Parmesan & parsley & stir until the risotto has a beautiful creamy texture.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning with salt (if required), you may find the dish salty enough at this stage.
- Spoon out into wide pasta bowls, scatter over roughly 2 tablespoons of the pickled radicchio, the toasted hazelnuts & parmesan shavings.