Every month we will share a different Coppi recipe for you to try at home! This month we have our salad of Peter Hannan's Sweet Cured Ham Hock with Radicchio, Fennel, Orange & Pickled Walnut Dressing
Peter Hannan's Sweet Cured Ham Hock with Radicchio, Fennel, Orange & Pickled Walnut Dressing
1 Sweet Cured Ham Hock
1 Heart of Baby Gem Leaves
Half a Small Radicchio, Outer Leaves Removed
Half Bulb of Fennel, Shaved Thinly
1 Orange, Segmented
For the Walnut dressing:
3 Tb Sp Lightly Toasted Walnuts
50mls White Wine
50mls White Wine Vinegar
15g Caster Sugar
20mls Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 140c, place the ham hock in a deep baking tray & wrap tightly with foil, add 200mls of water to stop the ham from sticking.
2. Bake for 3.5-4.5 hours until tender and pulling away from the bone.
3. In the meantime lightly toast the walnuts, place the vinegar, sugar & white wine in a small pot and bring to a boil before whisking to dissolve the sugar.
4. Pour the hot pickle over the toasted walnuts and allow to soak.
5. To assemble the salad dress the gem, radicchio, fennel & orange with 3 tb sp of the pickling liquor.
6. Toss and give a light seasoning of salt & freshly ground black pepper.
7. Place the picked ham hock over the salad & spoon over the walnuts.